Both Black Friday and Cyber Monday are two huge shopping days that feature discounts galore. So, what is the difference between the two, and which day features higher discounts or better retailers? Let’s check out their differences:
- Black Friday is the Friday following Thanksgiving. This is the day on which mega retail stores like Walmart, BestBuy, etc., extend whopping discounts to holiday shoppers. Cyber Monday follows 3 days later, on the following Monday. Cyber Monday deals are online-only and smaller retailers that cannot and do not want to compete with the big boys like WalMart on Black Friday offer discounts on their products on Cyber Monday. So, in this sense, Black Friday is “Goliath” while Cyber Monday is “David” – and in this story, David cannot defeat Goliath.
- Black Friday is for the big retail stores while Cyber Monday is for the small retail chains. However, the larger retail chains have also started offering Cyber Monday deals.
- Black Friday is physical sales; Cyber Monday is online-only sales.
- The retail biggies can push some of their Black Friday deals to Cyber Monday. But the Cyber Monday small stores cannot sell their goods on Black Friday and that’s because Black Friday discounts are humungous – you can buy appliances at half (or less than half) their market rates!
- Black Friday is a sweaty, huff-n-puff day. Shops are overcrowded, parking lots are jam packed, people are in a hurry, and stocks keep flying off the shelves. Cyber Monday’s shopping rush is on the online servers. You can shop from the comfort of your home.
- The term “Black Friday” can be traced back to 1966. The Philadelphia Police Department referred to the Friday following Thanksgiving as Black Friday because there was heavy overcrowding, traffic jams, jam-packed stores, and all this added to their workload. Cyber Monday was coined in 2005 by the National Retail Foundation. The term referred to one of the biggest online shopping day.
American consumers can get great discounts on both these days, which are considered to be the best shopping days in the entire year.